The University of Mississippi embraces its public flagship mission of inspiring and educating our diverse and vibrant community where all individuals are able to intellectually, socially and culturally thrive through transformative experiences on our campus and beyond. In fulfillment of this mission, we demonstrate the following commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion:
- Diversity is an affirmation of the intersecting individual, social and organizational identities that make our community vibrant and transformational. We commit to openly increasing, embracing and recognizing the full spectrum of diversity at all levels of our institution.
- Equity is directly addressing the social, institutional, organizational and systemic barriers that prevent members of marginalized groups from thriving in our community. We commit to be both proactive and responsive in mitigating barriers so that all members of our institution are able to reach their full potential.
- Inclusion is actively and intentionally creating a welcoming campus where all individuals feel they have a supportive and affirming space to learn, grow and engage. We commit to fostering a campus environment that fully supports, values and engages the intersectional identities of every member of our community.
Starting in 2019 under the leadership of Chancellor Boyce and Dr. Katrina Caldwell, inaugural vice chancellor for diversity and community engagement (DCE), the university engaged in a robust grassroots process to create an institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion plan. Chancellor Boyce and Dr. Shawnboda Mead, interim vice chancellor for DCE, continued these efforts to culminate in the unveiling of Pathways to Equity: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Institutional Strategic Plan. Beginning in January 2021, the university has committed to implement initiatives that advance the following overarching goals over the next five years:
- Advance Institutional Capacity for Equity
- Cultivate a Diverse and Equitable Community
- Foster an Inclusive Campus Climate
In addition to the institutional plan, Chancellor Boyce has charged each academic college/school and each administrative division with developing their own corresponding diversity, equity, and inclusion plans, entitled Equity in Action Plans. These Equity in Action Plans will be complete by the conclusion of the 2020-2021 year. We will annually report progress on these efforts to the University of Mississippi community.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of Mississippi
- Pathways to Equity: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Institutional Strategic Plan 2021-2026 (pdf of plan). If you need materials in an alternate format, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
- Achieving Equity Investment Grant
- Campus Climate Study
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Partners
- Diversity Liaisons
- Diversity Summit 2021: Pathways to Equity
- IHL Plan for Diversity
- National Center for Faculty Diversity and Development
- News Release: University Announces Five Year Diversity Plan
If you experience difficulty accessing information on this website or need materials in an alternate format, contact email@example.com for assistance.