Dr. Vitter has authored over 300 book, journal, conference, and patent publications reflecting his research interests. His Google Scholar h-index is in the 70s, and he is an ISI highly cited researcher.
Online Publication Library
Several of Dr. Vitter’s more recent publications reflecting his research interests are available to download electronically via his online publication library.
Dr. Vitter’s curriculum vitæ contains more complete information, including a biography and a full list of publications and funding.
- J. S. Vitter and W. C. Chen. Design and Analysis of Coalesced Hashing, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 1987.
- J. S. Vitter. “Design and Analysis of Dynamic Huffman Codes,” Journal of the ACM, 34(4), October 1987, 825–845. Conference version in FOCS ’85.
- A. Aggarwal and J. S. Vitter. “The Input/Output Complexity of Sorting and Related Problems,” Communications of the ACM, 31(9), September 1988, 1116-1127. Conference version in ICALP ’87.
- J. S. Vitter and Ph. Flajolet. “Average-Case Analysis of Algorithms and Data Structures,” Chapter 9 in Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, Volume A: Algorithms and Complexity (edited by J. van Leeuwen), Elsevier and M.I.T. Press, 1990, 431–524.
- J. S. Vitter and E. A. M. Shriver. “Algorithms for Parallel Memory I: Two-Level Memories,” and “Algorithms for Parallel Memory II: Hierarchical Multilevel Memories,” double special issue on Large-Scale Memories in Algorithmica, 12(2–3), 1994, 110–147 and 148–169. Conference version in STOC ’90.
- J. S. Vitter and P. Krishnan. “Optimal Prefetching via Data Compression,” Journal of the ACM, 43(5) September 1996, 771–793. Conference version in FOCS ’91.
- P. G. Howard and J. S. Vitter. “Arithmetic Coding for Data Compression,” invited paper in Proceedings of the IEEE, 82(6), June 1994, 857–865.
- Y.-J. Chiang, M. T. Goodrich, E. F. Grove, R. Tamassia, D. E. Vengroff, and J. S. Vitter. “External-Memory Graph Algorithms,” Proceedings of the 6th Annual SIAM/ACM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA ’95), San Francisco, CA, January 1995, 139–149.
- J. S. Vitter and M. Wang. “Approximate Computation of Multidimensional Aggregates of Sparse Data Using Wavelets,” Proceedings of the 1999 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD ’99), Philadelphia, PA, June 1999, 193–204. Recipient of the 2009 ACM SIGMOD Test of Time Award.
- R. Grossi and J. S. Vitter. “Compressed Suffix Arrays and Suffix Trees with Applications to Text Indexing and String Matching,” SIAM Journal on Computing, 35(2), 2005, 378–407. Conference version in STOC ’00.
- D. T. Hoang and J. S. Vitter. Efficient Algorithms for MPEG Video Compression, Wiley Series in Telecommunications and Signal Processing, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2002.
- R. Grossi, A. Gupta, and J. S. Vitter. “High-Order Entropy-Compressed Text Indexes,” Proceedings of the 14th Annual SIAM/ACM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA ’03), Baltimore, MD, January 2003, 841–850.
- J. S. Vitter. Algorithms and Data Structures for External Memory, Series on Foundations and Trends in Theoretical Computer Science, Now Publishers, Hanover, MA, 2008.
- W.-K. Hon, R. Shah, and J. S. Vitter. “Compression, Indexing, and Retrieval for Massive String Data,” keynote address by Dr. Vitter, invited paper in Proceedings of the 19th Annual Conference on Combinatorial Pattern Matching (CPM ’10), New York, NY, June 2010, published in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Berlin, Germany.
W.-K. Hon, R. Shah, and J. S. Vitter. “Space-Efficient Frameworks for Top- String Retrieval,” Journal of the ACM, 61(2), April 2014, 9.1-9.36. Earlier conference version in FOCS ’09.
- R. J. Sternberg, E. Davis, A.C. Mason, R. V. Smith, J. S. Vitter, and M. Wheatly, editors. Academic Leadership in Higher Education: From the Top-down and the Bottom-up, Rowman-Littlefield, Lanham, MD, 2015.